Search Engine Optimisation, (SEO), is the specialised process of optimising your website's organic (natural) search results on Google.
SEO may include;
- Competitor Analysis.
- Keyword Research.
- Search Engine Results Page, (SERP).
- PageRank check.
- Editing your websites meta data and on-page content.
- Possibly utilising Landing Pages or Mini Sites
Search Engine Marketing, (SEM), is the where you pay to promote your website listing in the search result.
SEM is particularly useful when;
- You want to promote something quickly for a short period of time, say a "pop-up store" or a "back to school sale" etc.
- You operate in a competitive market sector which makes it difficult to achieve the desired SERP.
SEM works on a "Pay Per Click" basis whereby you pay each time someone clicks on that link and visits your website.