The Benefits - $10,000 per month
With an Google Ad Grants, you can reach out and engage with your supporters, volunteers and partners through online advertising with AdWords ;
- Receive up to $10,000 per month in free "in-kind" Google AdWords advertising.
- Gain 5,000 visitors to your website each month.
- Promote your organisation’s website on Google with in-kind AdWords advertising
- Raise awareness for your cause by choosing relevant keywords and creating unique ads to highlight your mission.
- Manage it correctly and you can upgrade to $40,000 per month with GrantsPro.
What is Google Ad Grants
With the increasing dominance of the internet as a predominant means of communication the best way for people to learn about your organizations and programs is through a strong online presence.
Enhance your existing on-line activities with free advertising;
- Google Ad Grants is essentially the nonprofit version of Google AdWords.
- It helps nonprofits and not for profit organisations to promote their mission by way of "paid" advertising on search result pages.
- Qualifying non profit organisations may advertise their events, fund-raisers and other activities that promote their mission and hence drive traffic to their website.
Getting accepted into Google’s Ad Grants Program is an extensive process, but the benefits of the program are limitless.
Limitations to the Google Ad Grants Program
There are some limitations and restrictions to using the Google Ad Grants program.
- Daily budgets are set to $329.00, (which is equivalent to about $10,000 per month).
- Costs-Per-Click are limited to $2.00
- Campaigns can only be keyword-targeted directly related to your organisations mission.
- Advertisements can only be text ads.
- Ads can only be shown on the Google Search Network, not the Display Network or on Search partners.
- Accounts can only use Manual bidding for clicks; automatic bidding is not allowed.
- Your account will only run for as long as your organization remains actively engaged with your AdWords account by way of monthly activity and updates from your account manager.
- It is best to check in on your campaign several times each month to be on the safe side and it’s also a important to follow the Adwords best practice recommendations for any Ad Grants campaign.
The full list of current restrictions, conditions and limitations for Australian non profit organisations can be viewed here >>>.
Maximize Your Google Ad Grant
So, with these restrictions in place it is critical that you manage your account professionally.
You are being offered $10,000 per month. But if you don’t use it, you lose it!
Often it is difficult to spend the $10,000 per month. If you’re struggling to spend your grant money here are some basic optimization recommendations;
- Keywords - with a Google Ad Grant, you can use keywords that cost up to $2.00 per click.
- Be creative with your keyword selection - you are limited to $2 CPC so you will need to think outside the square.
- Mention things like volunteer activities, partnership and donation opportunities.
- Add relevant location names to some keywords.
- It is may be hard to compete using a keyword that is usually a $6 CPC when you can only have a $2 Max CPC so you will need to be creative and use long tail keywords.
- Use variations of your organization’s name and programs offered.
- In your AdWords account, use the Opportunities tool for more keyword ideas.
- Utilise the Related Searches and autofill tools on search pages to get ideas for variations.
- Don't overdo the use of Negative Keywords - you need to spend the money more freely than you may with a regular PPC campaign.
- Develop specific landing pages on your website that promote a particular aspect or program. Then create ads that send traffic to those specific pages, not just the homepage.
- Using specific pages help people find the relevant information they are searching for without having to dig around your site and risk abandoning the search.
- Create numerous ads, (and related landing pages).
- For example specific ads might direct donors to your donations page or newcomers to your sign-up page.
- Use AdWords Conversion Tracking and Google Analytics to analyse and track which ads attract the most traffic and where the conversions are coming from.
- Google Ad Grants is active only while your organisation actively manages the account.
- Manage your Ad Grants program well and you can upgrade to GrantsPro offers up to $40,000 per month in in-kind advertising support.
Maintain Eligibility for Your Google Ad Grant
Once you have gained a Google Ad Grant, it is critical to maintain your eligibility;
- Ad Grants ads can link to only one approved nonprofit website URL as nominated in your initial application process.
- AdWords accounts must be accessed, updated and managed monthly. Failure to do so may see the account being paused or suspended without notification.
- The ads and keywords must be relevant to the mission of your not for profit organisation.
- You may be able to advertise to sell products or services as long as 100% of the proceeds are going to support your program.
- Financial services ads such as mortgages or credit services are not allowed.
- Ad Grants cannot be combined with Google AdSense ads or affiliate advertising links.
Google Ad Grantspro
This is a highly lucrative program which rewards and benefits only the highest performing non profit organisations who have excelled at utilising the Google Ad Grant program.
- You will now be able to access up to $40,000 per month in AdWords credits
- That is potentially close to $500,000 per annum in advertising support
Am I eligible for Google Ad Grantspro
According to Google you will need to at least meet the following criteria;
To be eligible to apply, Ad Grantees must meet the following requirements:
- Tracking conversions: Have conversion tracking installed and have successfully tracked at least one conversion.
- Hitting budget cap: Have spent $9,900 USD or more per month for at least two different months over the last six months.
- High CTR: Have maintained an average account level clickthrough-rate (CTR) of 1% or higher over the past 6 months.
- Application submitted: Submit the online application describing how you will use the increased advertising money.
- Good standing: Be in good standing with the Google Ad Grants program and abide by all the program policies and guidelines.
- Bi-weekly maintenance: Have someone in the organization committed to actively managing the account at least on a bi-weekly basis.
- Survey completion: Complete an annual survey and agree to share impact or conversion data.
Once you have gained your eligibility you have to then maintain your dedication to the project to continue your eligibility.